SubjectRe: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics
On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 02:15:33PM -0800, Blu3Viper wrote:
> I have the standard makecompat for devfsd. I have -one- application which
> breaks. X. Compiling a kernel with devfs and putting devfsd onto a machine
> which was sans devfs is a breeze. Compile, put devfsd and conf files on,
> edit boot script. Reboot. All is well.

What "standard makecompat for devfsd"? I can't find anything on my
system, on Richard's pages, in the devfsd sources, or in the kernel sources
by that name. Pray tell what is this "standard". Maybe I've missed
something again. Unless it's under some other name...

Maybe this is the secret cookie we've all been looking for. Where
is it and what is it?

> > The option of leaving /dev as is, then mounting devfs on /devfs and
> > providing appropriate symlinks from one to the other answers a lot of those
> > problems, but not all of them. It's a compromise that keeps the pain level
> > of the transition to a minimum. It's also the way Sun handled this
> > situation on Solaris, except there it's /dev and /devices where /devices
> > has the magical entry points as defined by the device drivers.

> I find mounting over /dev more enjoyable, easier, and overall more
> simplistic.

I could give you an arguement on those points and enjoyable is
not a term I would employ.

> -d

Mike
--