SubjectRe: Slow pthread_create() under high load

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Joerg Pommnitz wrote:

> Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>
> > Maybe, but although a lot of the POSIX threads are reasonable, things
> > like requiring uid/gid updates to be instantly effective across all
> > threads in the process are just insane. There ain't no way that's
> > going into the kernel any time soon: it would require adding
> semaphore
> > locking to all of the credential information that is currently task-
> > local.
>
> Isn't this more the case of a missing "CLONE_CREDENTIALS" flag?
> If POSIX specifies that credential are shared among threads
> (similiar to VM, files,...) and Linux does not do this, than
> it's not the specification that is broken but Linux' implementation
> of the same...
>
> Regards
> Joerg

Perhaps these people worried about thread performance need to set their
priority scheme to SCHED_RR. Especially if it's a database you probably
want it to take a lot of your CPU time. This should end up with more
aggressive allocation of time slices, as long as appropriate sleeping is
going on it should fix this kind of thing.
I've done some multimedia programming in Linux and appropriate thread
priority makes the difference between choppy and smooth thread
interactions.

Nicholas Vinen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.302 / U:0.340 seconds]