    SubjectRe: Slow pthread_create() under high load

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:

    > Mate, where have you been? The day Linus lets user-space dictate what
    > goes into the kernel is the day hell freezes over. If you want a patch
    > to go into the kernel, you need to convince him it's a good idea.
    > Adding a dependency in user-space, expecting it to "force his hand",
    > will not help. It will probably just piss him off. Or make him laugh.
    > Regards,
    > Richard....

    OK, well, can any of these problems that are being discussed be fixed
    by changing/reimplementing POSIX threads? Would it help to boost the
    priority of the manager thread to realtime? Would it help to change the
    way the inter-thread communication works from a pipe to a more low level

    In fact is there any reason that when you do pthread_create, it doesn't
    just do a clone() right there? It has to clone, change priority (which you
    need the permission to do anyway, right?) and then jump off to the
    specified address..

    Can someone explain why this had to be done in such a roundabout manner
    so that I (we) understand the issues and thus know better how this
    situation could be fixed?

    Nicholas Vinen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.021 / U:1.176 seconds]