SubjectRe: PCI probing in slot order?
Martin Mares writes:
> Hi Jeff!
>
> > Probing in slot order has the advantage of being an ordering which is
> > known and obvious to the user. It is counter intuitive to have cards in
> > slots 1, 2, 3 get attached to drivers in the order 3, 1, 2, for example.
> >
> > Further, several kernel subsystems have their own command line options
> > to allow the user to specify an arbitrary order. It might be useful to
> > replace or supplement that with slot-based ordering.
>
> Of course, but we need to solve it for modules as well :-(
>
> I think that we should define some way of matching PCI slots with
> specific device names, so that the user can define things like `eth0
> is the ethernet card in PCI slot 00:01' and so on. Devfsd seems to
> be the ideal place for such things, we just need to make devfs
> export the PCI location of the cards to user space.

Funny you should say that :-) In fact, one of the things I'm planning
to do is put in a "physical physical" heirarchy for things like SCSI
cards. So, for example, where now there is a directory /dev/scsi/host0
it will be replaced by a symlink to /dev/bus/pci/slot0/function0
or something like that.

This doesn't help with network devices, though. It's one thing to
create the heirarchy, but since network devices have no device
entries, making use of this for network configuration isn't so easy.

Then again, maybe we should change to having device interfaces for
network devices, rather than these things which exist in a separate
namespace. I've often toyed with the idea. This might be a good reason
to actually do it.

There would of course be a directory with interfaces: /dev/net/ or
something like that. It would be populated with symlinks to the real
device nodes.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.112 / U:0.148 seconds]