    SubjectRe: Slow pthread_create() under high load
    Alvin Starr writes:
    > On 25 Mar 2000, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
    >
    > > sasha@mysql.com writes:
    > >
    > > > My guess is that clone() should return very fast to the original thread, but
    > > > might take a while to return to the newly created thread, which is what is
    > > > causing the problem.
    > >
    > > The kernel does not allow using clone() directly because some
    > > additional functionality required to implement the correct POSIX
    > > threads behaviour is missing. Do you think we make these things slow
    > > on purpose?
    >
    > there is a saying I like:
    > " Never attribute to malice that which can be adquatly explained by
    > incompatence. "

    Erm, this comment could be taken the wrong way.

    > I am sure that if the next version of the thread library required a
    > set of kernel patches to run effectivly then those patches would end
    > up in the kernel source tree within a version or so.

    Mate, where have you been? The day Linus lets user-space dictate what
    goes into the kernel is the day hell freezes over. If you want a patch
    to go into the kernel, you need to convince him it's a good idea.
    Adding a dependency in user-space, expecting it to "force his hand",
    will not help. It will probably just piss him off. Or make him laugh.

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:181.312 seconds]