       Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:36:50 +0200
    From: Manfred Spraul <>

    I overlooked that when I updated the message queue code: you could
    kill the computer by sending lots of 0-byte messages to a SysV
    message queue :-/

    Also, as another example, send the following packet sequence to a BSD
    tcp stack:

    last byte in window
    last 2 bytes in window
    last 3 bytes in window
    last 4 bytes in window

    For a long time (I don't know if it is fixed now) you could use this
    to make the kernel allocate "rcvbuf factorial" bytes of space per
    socket on a BSD machine. (It's not a very useful remote DoS because
    you have to create a real connection and thus give away your identity
    to perform the attack)

    I know at least FreeBSD fixed the Unix fd passing leak, so they
    probably fixed this particular TCP nasty as well.

    David S. Miller

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:94.404 seconds]