SubjectRe: Update: Subtle data corruption of TCP streams
Seems that routers don't do the packet rewriting that I'm observing
here. It's the domain of bandwith management systems. There are
at least four players. I got reactions from several.

Disabling TCP options in the Linux kernel does help, especially when
you're talking to non-Linux systems.

Wietse

Austin Schutz:
> [bugtraq removed from cc:]
>
> I've noticed this problem on my network. I'm behind an Ascend
> pipeline 50. I had thought that this might be the root of the problem.
> Supposedly there's something similar reported as a problem with older
> ascend software.
>
> Any idea what the other people experiencing the prolbem are using
> as gateway routers?
>
> Austin
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 04:26:13PM -0800, Blu3Viper wrote:
> > How about taking this to linux-kernel for discussion since it appears to be
> > a development kernel bug possibly?
> >
> > -d
> >
> > On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Wietse Venema wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:38:36 -0500
> > > From: Wietse Venema <wietse@PORCUPINE.ORG>
> > > To: BUGTRAQ@SECURITYFOCUS.COM
> > > Subject: Update: Subtle data corruption of TCP streams
> > >
> > > Apparently, once instance of this data corruption problem is caused
> > > by an unnamed bandwidth management system. It runs as a bridge,
> > > and does not show up in traceroute etc. output. We were able to
> > > estimate its location (at 5 ms round-trip time from one endpoint)
> > > by analyzing packet arrival times.
> > >
> > > Until now, this TCP data corruption problem has been observed only
> > > when one of the connection endpoints runs a recent LINUX version.
> > > Sightings have been reported by sites in Germany and in France.
> > >
> > > Only recent LINUX versions request the use of timestamp options
> > > that cause the tell-tale patterns of "01 01 08 0a" in TCP packets,
> > > and that end up being regurgitated as ^A^A^H^J data.
> > >
> > > I have updated the analysis at ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/pub/debugging/
> > >
> > > Wietse
> > >
> > > Wietse Venema:

> > -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.068 / U:0.100 seconds]