SubjectRe: Keyboard rate question..
On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Harald Koenig wrote:

>> On systems where one keyboard is shared between two or more
>> computers, when you switch the mechanical switch from one machine
>> to the next, the keyboard repeat rate gets reset to slowness.
>> I'd like the keyboard to maintain my repeat rate across this if
>> possible. I'd like it to be seamless - so no user needs to do
>> anything. Thus I figured the best way would be to have the
>> keyboard handler detect the keyboard disappearing and reappearing
>> and reprogram the repeat rate. Another option would be to
>> reprogram the repeat rate upon VC switch.
>> Any other ideas? Sample code? I'd really appreciate it,
>> thanks..
>fix the hardware switch so that it doesn't switch off power supply
>for the keyboard even only for a short time:
>directly connect ground from one/more PC inlets to keyboard outlet
>and connect one/more power supply pins from PC keyboard inlet
>with a diode or each inlet to avoid short-circuits between
>power supply lines of different PCs.

Hmm.. That is an interesting solution. I can't try it right
now, so I still need a software solution at least temporarily,
but that could likely be a more permanent and useful solution.

Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate
Capslock Consulting Open Source advocate

I've overclocked my keyboard interface. It's quite messy dipping my
hands into the mineral oil, but *MAN* is my keyboard ever fast now!
- Anonymous Coward