SubjectRe: No mouse in X.
Oops, myself, I should have looked to see if there where more replies on
to this thread...

I don't think I'm seeing the same thing as you.

I normally don't load gpm on this machine, so it isn't started by
default. I rebooted with the a newly compiled 2.3.99-pre3 which was a
make oldconfig from my working 2.3.51. After reboot I started up X, it
didn't complain about not finding a mouse, actually the initialization
messages reported finding my 3 button PS/2 mouse just like normal. But
after X was finished loading there was no mouse cursor to be seen
(although it did flash for a second during the startup).

I got out of X and cat'ed /proc/interrupts the PS/2 mouse wasn't even
listed (but I did see the huge number of USB interupts, which is what
provoked my other e-mail). I loaded gpm just to see what would
happen. It loaded and worked fine. /proc/interrupts now did show a count
for the PS/2 mouse.

Just to be on the safe side I recompiled a kernel without USB support, it
made no difference.

So, as I said before, it does sound like an X problem, since gpm finds the
mouse fine, but but the problem seems to be trigged by the kernel. So who
needs to fix it? Is X assuming something about the psaux device that it
shouldn't or has something been removed from the psaux driver that really
should be there?

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
>
> > > I have also just found that my PS/2 mouse isn't showing up in XFree4
> > > with the 2.3.99-pre3 kernel. X seems to see the mouse device, but the
> > > cursor doesn't show up once X is done loading. GPM does see and use
> > > the mouse just fine. X uses the mouse just fine with 2.3.51.
> >
> > I think this is an XF4 problem - I'm seeing it with 2.2 as well.
>
> Oopps, that wasn't very useful. I meant to say that it happens
> about every other bootup for me. After X has run and failed to
> show the mouse, gpm tends to be b0rked, too. A reboot fixes it
> usually - no power cycle needed.
>
> Matthew.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.037 / U:0.276 seconds]