SubjectRe: build system cleanups for BSD
Date
In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.1000323080621.12645A-100000@localhost>,
Jonathan Walther <krooger@debian.org> wrote:

>This is my first patch. It:
>
>1) fixes the detection of bash, which was flawed and broke in
> the case where bash was not in /bin (ie /usr/local/bin/bash)
>2) on systems that have gmake installed, you probably want
> it to be the default MAKE (eg, the *BSD's)
>3) if you don't have ncurses, at least fall back to curses before
> giving up; in the BSD's at least, curses IS ncurses.
>
>Note: the kernel build depends on GNU awk, BSD awk doesn't work.

Are you *positive* about this?

Mastodon Linux uses the awk out of OpenBSD ((c) Lucent 1997) and
is able to build the 2.3.xx kernels without complaint (at least for
awk -- there are a couple of pointless gnuisms elsewhere in the
build process that I've been waving patches around for.)

____
david parsons \bi/ There are places where the build process depends on
\/ GNU stuff, but those seem to be from a simple ignorance
of Unix, not missing features.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.028 / U:0.820 seconds]