    Subjectsegfault while reading /proc/<pid>/stat
    I got a problem. I logged into my server and found what w, ps,
    top and others are all segfault immediately after start. Well,
    here is the details:
    This host is running Linux 2.2.14. I did a strace on a
    problematic utilities and it always ends like this:
    stat("/proc/19672", {st_mode=0, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
    open("/proc/19672/stat", O_RDONLY) = 7
    read(7, <unfinished ...>
    +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

    I did cd /proc/19672; ls -l -- segfault, cat stat -- segfault.
    No good. Well, kill -9 19672 -- nothing, kill -9 again, it
    still there. I'm able to list /proc/19672/fd, using that
    information I found what 19672 is wget, started recursive to
    www.linux.org.ru. That site has a message board and I found a
    huge directory structure in /tmp. With some effort (I had to
    chroot to the middle of the path) I removed that directory.
    But I can't kill the process and even see its status. Other
    sysadmins suggested to reboot the damned thing, but I think
    this is incorrect. Others suggested to remount /proc, I tried
    umount - busy, mount -o remount /proc doesn't change the
    situation. I can only guess what somehow very long path have
    damaged process information in kernel. In that case this does
    indicate a serious problem in linux kernel. The fact is what
    absolutely unprivileged user have damaged the linux system enough
    so me is wishing to reboot it.

    It is still up and functional except for some commands. Load
    average is 2.00, where 1 is mersenne primes client.

    I'll provide as much information as I can.

    PS: I'm not subscribed to linux-kernel, please Cc: all replies
    to me.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.036 / U:29.848 seconds]