SubjectRe: Some questions about linux kernel.
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Paul Jakma wrote:

> > > i guess though it's a 2.5 thing. Rik, do you know of anyone
> > > investigating per-user limits for 2.5? (a lot of linux users
> > > would like to see it.. hint hint..)

> > Some people are looking into this and if you remind them
> > they might even finish it :)
>
> Rik, could you please describe yours per-user resource limits
> idea which we were discussing?

OK, the idea was to have the kernel keep the per-user
limits in kernel memory, with a (flexible?) configuration
file that's handled in userspace.

The kernel simply keeps the info for all UIDs with running
processes in memory and reuses the others in LRU order (so
that a user that gets lots of email doesn't cause the info
to be reloaded every few seconds).

The way to load the info into the kernel is probably best
done by a userland helper program that parses the config
file (in a flexible and easy format) and hands the data to
the kernel in a more rigid and compact format.
(just as we do now with loading modules)

regards,

Rik
of people. That is its real strength.

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/