    SubjectRe: Overcommittable memory
    > >Write the program without recursion and you know at compile-time how
    > >much memory it will ever need in the worst case.
    > >There is always at least one page - so make sure you use less than that.
    > >You'll need to know the stack overhead of any c-library you use - so
    > >don't use it or figure it out. It is doable with open-source libraries.
    >
    > TBH, I don't see the point. I know I have more than enough RAM to
    > handle most cases, and some extra swap for contingencies.

    Someone mentioned how hard it was to write "memory safe" apps for
    embedded
    devices, considering how the stack is dynamically allocated. I pointed
    out
    that this isn't that hard.

    Having enough RAM is fine for a pc. An embedded device running linux
    will likely
    be mass-produced with the minimum amount of RAM though.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.018 / U:0.460 seconds]