    SubjectRe: fcntl(2) and other file systems like XFS
    Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
    > Yes. In fact, it's worse than that: to perform either an ioctl or a
    > fcntl, you need to have a file handle on the inode. But for device
    > inodes, you cannot open the inode unless the device is present. This
    > hits us already on ext2: you cannot, for example, do a "chattr +I
    > /dev/*" to make all /dev inodes immutable, because most of the inodes
    > present in that directory will not have valid devices (just how many
    > people do you know who use every possible partition number of every
    > possible scsi, ide, smart, mylex .... device?)

    The very nice O_NONE idea would sort this out. O_NONE means you can
    always open the file object, but you can't do much with it. For a
    device, the device wouldn't get opened, but fstat() would return the
    same device information as stat() returns.

    Things like fchmod _are_ permitted though.

    We could say that fs-specific ioctls (or fcntls if it goes that way) are
    permitted on O_NONE file handles.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:3.060 seconds]