SubjectRe: AIC-7890 SCSI problems

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Dr. Michael Weller wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, G. Hugh Song wrote:
>
> > I tried 5.1.21 and 5.1.28. Now, I use 5.1.28. Enabling the debug-mode
> > should not have anything to do with the SCSI timeout error. So,
> > this must be a bug of the aic7xxx driver.
>
> While it should not have to do anything with it, it slows execution
> (changes the timing), may overcome certain compiler bugs by adding new
> commands and may even enable interrupts in odd places to print a message
> somewhere.
>
> So, in reality, it often affects the behaviour of the system. Here, it
> probably means the source of your problems is a timing issue or race
> condition.
>
> Michael.
>
> BTW, I had some major problems with the aic7xxx driver on a aha2940u2w in
> 2.2.14. It seems the mode sense handling was pretty much screwed and
> caused havoc with more elaborate scsi devices (tapes, removables) that
> need more than plain SCSI read/write commands.

Ah-ha! I've got a SCSI CDRewritable drive from Sony. That probably
caused timing erors. I guess I need to take out that fancy rewritable
and put a plain IDE cdrom.

> My problem (fortunately, knock on wood) seems to be cured by the 5.1.28
> release. From my problems I'd claim that anyone trying to use a tape or
> similar device would get plenty of problems w/o it.

Without what?

> A new 2.2 release with
> the updated aic7xxx driver is almost unavoidable.

Are you talking about version 5.2.? of aic7xxx? The aic7xxx homepage does
not have it yet. http://people.redhat.com/dledford/aic7xxx.html

> Michael.
>
> --
>
> Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,
> or even mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de. If you encounter an eowmob account on
> any machine in the net, it's very likely it's me.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.048 / U:0.084 seconds]