SubjectRe: Some questions about linux kernel.
Date
On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Graham Murray wrote:
>Jesse Pollard <pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil> writes:
>
>> I want controlability, and repeatabiltiy. If the system runs out of memory
>> I want a message stating that occurance. Even more, I want resource controls
>> that will allow me to be able to eliminate it (most draconian) or permit
>> it within certain limits; and to know when it happens.
>
>And for that message to be sent to ALL processes. Even if it is not
>the "hog" causing the problem, a process may be able to be a "good
>neighbour" and release some memory or take some other action (such as
>reducing the number of instances, number of buffers etc, or even
>terminating gracefully) when there is a resource shortage. Also that
>the process be informed when (if) the resource shortage has ended.

I hadn't thought of it in this manner... something to think about.
I was referring to "I" as system administrator.

>This would be mostly userspace, the kernel would just have control of
>the thresholds, monitoring the levels and the responsibility for
>sending the signal(s).

It might work better that the kernel inform a resource manager daemon
which could then send or not send the signals (or send them to a single
process group). This would allow for some policy handling where it
may be desirable to abort some processes and not abort the accounting
departments database.

Hmmmmmm.