    SubjectAvoiding OOM on overcommit...?

    This was mentioned already, but I haven't seen a really decent reason for
    why it's not a good idea. Therefore, I'm giving it more airtime.

    Solution?

    No overcommit of VM. Yes! This would be HORRIBLE for performance, but ONLY
    if you're actually allocating the memory to the process. If you don't
    actually allocate it, but in fact just ensure that it could allocate it
    in the future, you take no performance hit and gain that much stability.

    This would of course mean that you'd need a LOT of s/low priority virtual
    memory "just in case", but the worst case (where all of the committed is
    actually used) would be rare and only happen in OOM situations.

    While, yes, a 40 meg process that fork()s will have to make sure that
    there are 40 megs of VM free, it doesn't mean that COW cannot be used,
    and it does not mean all 40 megs will have to be paged in.

    I would gladly take this option on a production server. I can easily
    sacrifice slow IDE drives to the VM cause and NFS mount more swap
    space if need be, without having to worry about random tasks dying
    if the kernel finds itself low on memory it told a process that it had an
    infinite amount of.

    Note, I am saying "OPTION". This should not be the default behavior, but
    there's certainly no reason why it can't be an option for those of us who
    will run Linux with swap, on a production machine.

    I trust that I will be corrected if I am a dumbass. :)

    Michael Bacarella

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:58.720 seconds]