    SubjectRe: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49
    On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 03:14:08PM +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
    > something is wrong. I think we need extra VM infrastructure to deal
    > reliably with this: both ext3 and reiserfs will be hurt by the need
    > to build whole transactions before committing stuff to disk, as we
    > may run out of memory mid-transaction while the rest of the
    > transaction is still pinned.

    Why does the transaction have to be maintained in memory? What's the big
    deal with eating up journal space for a transaction that may be aborted
    anyway? As long as it's not marked committed, upon a possible recovery,
    things should roll back automatically.

    Mike Castle Life is like a clock: You can work constantly and be right all the time, or not work at all and be right at least twice a day. -- mrc
    We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan. -- Watchmen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:1.196 seconds]