SubjectRe: 2.3.51 tulip broken
On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Donald Becker wrote:
> No, that's not the problem. You might blame it on the constants, but you
> didn't understand the task you were taking on when you decided to take over
> maintaining the Ethernet drivers. It took years to write the driver set --
> it's something you can just pick up in a few months. And expecting me to
> now fix or maintain your hacked up code branch is just completely
> unreasonable.

Donald,

No one expects anything from you and has not for a long time. If you
wanted to actually WORK on the drivers, rather than just complain,
then I'm sure many people including myself would find that work
very valuable.

It is unarguable that you have more experience with these net
drivers, but when was the last time you submitted a patch to Linus?
Two years ago? Three? More?

I never claimed to be perfect but at least I am trying to fix some
of the the bit-rotten, UNMAINTAINED net driver code currently in
the kernel.

Finally, only the Tulip and RTL-8139 drivers are maintained by me.
It takes a two-second grep of the MAINTAINERS file to discover this
fact. Other drivers are still unmaintained, except when I get spare
time to hack on them. (or when others send me patches for them)

Regards,

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.098 / U:0.396 seconds]