Subjectembedded ramdisk/ram FS question

Hi linux-kernel members,

A newbie kernel hacking question for you...

I'm thinking about an embedded device which uses battery-backed RAM as
its persistent file store. I'm trying to establish what work I'd need
to do to be able to run binaries straight from the file system in RAM,
without extra buffering (since RAM will be limited). I don't care too
much about double-buffering of metadata, as I anticipate that won't take
up too much space.

The RAM disk in rd.c seems to use the buffer cache as the primary place
to keep the data, whereas I'd guess that to be able to execute straight
from the FS, the files would need to live in the page cache.

Would it be possible for me to write a version of rd.c that uses the page
cache to store files? I'm not too solid on the layering of the various
buffer/caching systems, although I have a rough idea of the differences
between 2.2 and 2.3. Would I also need to modify a file system to get
the behavior I want?

thanks a bunch,
miket

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.022 / U:1.820 seconds]