    SubjectRe: Some questions about linux kernel.
    On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Alex Belits wrote:
    >On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

    > Last time I have checked, scheduler handles priority of processes
    >without any "time hog detector" in userspace, yet nice(1) is used all the
    >time. It can argued that daemon can help to set policies for running
    >processes, but the possibility to at least set policy on the program
    >startup by some wrapper should improve situation a lot compared to what it
    >is now.

    I think that's a good approach: use something much like Rik van Riel's
    patch to kill processes in an OOM situation, but allow a user-space daemon
    to alter the calculation he uses to determine which process to kill. If
    we're OOM the daemon can't be run, so the daemon should not try to handle
    OOM situations directly.

    Here is an example (poor, but it demonstrates the idea): by default, when
    OOM kill the process with highest x=memory/sqrt(CPU time). But each
    process might have some priority value which is added to x. This priority
    may be modified by root via a userspace daemon or a tool like nice.

    The daemon might not be necessary; it would be better to set priority when
    the task is loaded.

    The only difference between this approach and Rik's patch is that it keeps
    (some) policy in userspace.

    Dave

    David Whysong dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu
    Astrophysics graduate student University of California, Santa Barbara
    My public PGP keys are on my web page - http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dwhysong
    DSS PGP Key 0x903F5BD6 : FE78 91FE 4508 106F 7C88 1706 B792 6995 903F 5BD6
    D-H PGP key 0x5DAB0F91 : BC33 0F36 FCCD E72C 441F 663A 72ED 7FB7 5DAB 0F91

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:4.143 / U:0.460 seconds]