SubjectRe: Some questions about linux kernel.
On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

> > If those were the only choices, it would be reasonable, but why some
> > userspace program can't decide, what should be the policy, and tell the
> > kernel? It can be done the same way, priority is handled.
>
> Oops... OOM. Please gimme some 10Mb so I can start this wonderful AI
> memory-hog detector, so it can be killed.

Last time I have checked, scheduler handles priority of processes
without any "time hog detector" in userspace, yet nice(1) is used all the
time. It can argued that daemon can help to set policies for running
processes, but the possibility to at least set policy on the program
startup by some wrapper should improve situation a lot compared to what it
is now.

--
Alex