SubjectRe: compile a kernel...outside Linux
On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 08:52:29PM -0500, Donald Ian Wilson wrote:
> The question is this: I want to recompile my kernel, optimized for
> the G4 chip. Obviously, GCC isn't going to do this. I'm assumeing
> there must be a way to compile the kernel without being in linux
> itself...how else would the first kernel of each new port be
> compiled?

You can compile it anywhere you can run gcc (and gcc runs in a lot of
places). Using any other compiler than gcc is going to be hopeless.

> how else would the first kernel of each new port be compiled?

Using a gcc on the native OS of the new architecture or using a gcc
cross compiler on another architecture. I.e. before Linux can run on a
new architecture gcc and binutils already have to support it.

--
Andreas E. Bombe <andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de>
http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/ DSA key 0x04880A44