    SubjectRe: compile a kernel...outside Linux
    On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 08:52:29PM -0500, Donald Ian Wilson wrote:
    > The question is this: I want to recompile my kernel, optimized for
    > the G4 chip. Obviously, GCC isn't going to do this. I'm assumeing
    > there must be a way to compile the kernel without being in linux
    > itself...how else would the first kernel of each new port be
    > compiled?

    You can compile it anywhere you can run gcc (and gcc runs in a lot of
    places). Using any other compiler than gcc is going to be hopeless.

    > how else would the first kernel of each new port be compiled?

    Using a gcc on the native OS of the new architecture or using a gcc
    cross compiler on another architecture. I.e. before Linux can run on a
    new architecture gcc and binutils already have to support it.

    --
    Andreas E. Bombe <andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de>
    http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/ DSA key 0x04880A44