    SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

    Jamie Lokier wrote:

    > Xuan Baldauf wrote:
    > > > Users _have_ that choice. http://www.devlinux.com/projects/reiserfs/
    > > > You are allowed to use things not in the standard tree. Go wild!
    > >
    > > If I would have had this in mind, I would have written "chance". Users
    > > have the chance, if they stumble over reiserfs, but they do not have the
    > > choice, because they are not asked.
    >
    > Good point. I have a very useful shell script called `ft' and users
    > should have the _choice_ to use it. But they don't because they don't
    > know about it.
    >
    > Please Linus, can you put my `ft' script in the kernel before 2.4?
    > Sorry, I don't remember what it does.

    lol :o)

    The difference is: your ft script belongs to the distros, reiserfs to the
    kernel. Ask some distros to include your script, maybe it is considered
    useful. ;o) (Maybe reiserfs also belongs to distros, not to the kernel, but I
    thought that we do not really want to go this way (and break linux into
    distro-specific linux like latin into italian, french, spanish...) But maybe
    I'm wrong...)

    > > Compare this to some dictatures... say Serbia. Most people have the
    > > chance to change the political system (they can try to form opposition
    > > and demonstrate, etc.), but they do not have the choice, because they
    > > have no democratic elections.
    >
    > (I wonder what the Serbs on this list think of that).

    I wonder, too, if somebody feels offended, please feel being apologized,
    too... (Or please tell me what's the reality, I just quoted the local media
    viewpoint to have an example..)

    > If that's what chance and choice mean, then users _do_ have the choice
    > to install Reiserfs.

    I do not get that point (maybe I'm to tired). Is the user asked "reiserfs"
    within "make menuconfig" after freshly installing a current kernel? Until the
    answer to this question is "no", users have only the chance, but not the
    choice...

    > Enjoy.

    Personally, I do! :o)

    > thanks,
    > -- Jamie

    Xuân. :o)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:4.094 / U:0.120 seconds]