    SubjectRe: NTFS status for 2.4.x (was Re: Linux Jobs: Update)
    At 19:12 13/03/00, Todd Sabin wrote:
    >Steve Dodd <steved@loth.demon.co.uk> writes:
    > > [Cc'd to linux-ntfs as this issue has just come up there too]

    > > > 2.0 or 2.2 kernels providing your NT < Win2000 I believe. If you want
    > 2.3.x
    > > > to do NT then someone needs to maintain the code.
    > >
    > > I'm afraid I'm not going to volunteer because I don't have enough free
    > time to
    > > commit to doing it reliably. However, if people want to remind of all the
    > > outstanding NTFS issues they know of, I'll collect them and stick them
    > on the
    > > web somewhere .. I may even get around to fixing some of them, but no
    > promises.
    > >

    >Well, I just built 2.3.51 and tried the ntfs driver. It appears to
    >work fine, at least for read-only. This was just a sanity test, so
    >there may be nasties lurking about, but are there known problems?

    Read-only works fine for me, too and I have limited write functionality
    (copying files on top of each other works fine, deleting files doesn't work
    leaving "broken file-like structures" for a future "chkdsk /f" under NT to
    sort out). - read-only works perfectly though - I have lots of things on my
    NTFS partition including my freshly downloaded rpms, tar balls, etc and I
    read them from linux without any problems so I don't see why NTFS
    (read-only at least) needs to be removed. - Maybe mark it as unsupported +
    experimental + whatever else in the configure scripts but please keep it
    in, there are people (including me) who rely on it working since NT is a
    long way away from reading ext2 partitions... (if someone wants to prove me
    wrong, please do so).

    And no I can't maintain the ntfs driver myself since my linux kernel
    hacking experience is almost equal to zero atm and I also don't know
    anthing about ntfs workings either...

    Anton

    --

    "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he
    learned in school." - Albert Einstein

    --
    Anton Altaparmakov Voice: 01223 333541(lab)
    Christ's College eMail: AntonA@bigfoot.com