SubjectRe: [linux-fbdev] fbdev 2.4.0 cleanups
On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> On 13 Mar 00 at 11:21, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > Well, maybe that it is just me, but I can say something, I think
> > > that we should left this code here for whole 2.4.x, as I still sometime
> > > run 2.3.x together with 2.2.x and unless I switch to devfs, I must
> > > have /dev/fb1 pointing to 29,32; but to 29,1 for 2.[34].x. I think
> > > that it is unacceptable.
> > You have a point here... I'll change the comment from 2.4.0 to 2.5.0 if you all
> > agree.
> Yes.
> > > square on matroxfb); video4linux (in)compatibility). I received
> > The video4linux case is very disputable: opening a hardware device twice is bad
> > practice. You're not allowed to do that with e.g. audio neither.
> There is O_NDELAY for audio devices, is not it? BTW, it is really surprising
> that I cannot run 'fbset' from XF86_FBDev anymore :-( Or when I'm watching
> TV... And because of you need to open an /dev/fb* to get con2fb map,
> at least one mine application stopped working on /dev/fb1 if
> /dev/fb1 is unused, but /dev/fb0 is used.

Two more reasons for delaying this until 2.5.0 and reworking it (like allowing
multiple opens, but only for a limited set of operations (no mmap(), no write,
no set_var)).

> > So for 2.4.0, I think we should focus only on
> > - Updated vfb, so new drivers do things well. I suggest to add a warning to
> > the top of vfb that _new_ drivers not complying to the new rules will not
> > be accepted (and I'll enforce this by asking Linus to remove any _new_
> > drivers that don't).
> If you think. I still do not agree with these ideas, but you are two and
> I'm one...

What's wrong with removing the `con' argument from the get/set functions and
moving the VC dependant part to fbcon?

> > - Updated other fbdev (cfr. vfb), if possible
> If it makes code smaller. It does not with currently done changes.

You think it doesn't make the code smaller? A lot of comments were added to
vfb.c.

> > - Clean ups and bug fixes
> Always welcomed.

Hehe ;-)