    SubjectRe: 2.3.51 -- I am still seeing the"shmget: shm filesystem not mounted" error
    Alan Cox <> writes:

    > > Just as well. Some ancient X shm code I just looked at waits for
    > > a confirmation event back from X before doing IPC_RMID, so I guess
    > > this behaviour of not allowing shmat after IPC_RMID was already
    > > the case for a certain "SunOS" some years ago.

    HPUX, Solaris, True64, AIX and Reliant UNIX have the same behaviour.

    > > As it should be.
    > I'd disagree. The remove and attach technique is very very commonly
    > used by other applications in order to ensure the segment is deleted
    > if a program crashed - directly analogous to open/unlink/read.
    > Gimp wont be the only thing that breaks. So the old behaviour needs
    > to work at least for SYS5 IPC, what posix ipc does is another matter

    No Linux is the only *NIX I know which did it this way (I do not have
    any *BSD here). So all these programs are not portable?

    I had some discussion with Al Viro about that issue, because in the
    old Linux way a shm segment is something like a globally open file
    descriptor and in the new behaviour it is simply a temporary file. I
    first wanted to invent something along the open fd think case but Al
    objected and I am convinced that he was right.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:3.872 seconds]