SubjectRe: Linux Jobs: Update

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Bill Wendling wrote:

> Also sprach Rui Sousa:
> } Q wrote:
> } >
> } >
> } > I'd still prefer those things compiled in tho, I'll use modules if I want
> } > to be "flexible".
> }
> } Adding a line to lilo is faster than compiling an entire kernel any day.
> } And in both cases you only have to do it once.
> }
> } Do you remember the first time you compiled the kernel to get sound going?
> } I bet you wish you had this "flexibility" at the time :)
> }
> Having both would be a blessing. Having one ripped out from under you so
> you now have to go decipher isapnp or encant some magic on the lilo:
> prompt is a curse.

Get a better sound card...

If you are sufficiently advanced to be compiling your own kernel instead
of using a nicely packaged one (from Linux-Mandrake for example :)),
then you should expect to jump through some extra hoops to get the
functionality you desire.

As SB is ISA, probing a fixed list of ports (or even a single port) can
be pretty ugly if you don't have the expected hardware present on those
port(s).

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:1.063 / U:0.708 seconds]