SubjectRe: Some questions about linux kernel.
On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Adam wrote:
> > Rik's OOM patch:
> > You have a file with holes or other compression. When you try to
> > write to this, the kernel searches for junk files. It finds core
> > files, /tmp files, emacs backup files, *.o files...
>
> Problem is that one's thing junk is other person's valuable thing.
>
> If I run some web server, the 'httpd's are the most imporant thing,
> and it is thing which I least want to get killed.

Wrong, at least if you're running apache. I've seen
Apache explode and take down the performance of a
machine, killing that one apache child allowed the
rest of the system (including the other apache
childeren and the parent) to run...

> On the other hand if I run some important simulation, I'll be
> willing to let daemons like sendmail or http die in hopes the
> simulation finish.

You might want to take a look at the process selection
mechanism in my OOM killer patch (http://www.surriel.com/patches/).

> Bottom line is that I don't belive any kind of AI in OMM will do
> the right job.

So give us a better solution. One that also works for
unattended servers (I don't believe anybody actually
wants to babysit servers 24x7).

regards,

Rik
of people. That is its real strength.