    SubjectRe: Some questions about linux kernel.
    On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Adam wrote:
    > > Rik's OOM patch:
    > > You have a file with holes or other compression. When you try to
    > > write to this, the kernel searches for junk files. It finds core
    > > files, /tmp files, emacs backup files, *.o files...
    > Problem is that one's thing junk is other person's valuable thing.
    > If I run some web server, the 'httpd's are the most imporant thing,
    > and it is thing which I least want to get killed.

    Wrong, at least if you're running apache. I've seen
    Apache explode and take down the performance of a
    machine, killing that one apache child allowed the
    rest of the system (including the other apache
    childeren and the parent) to run...

    > On the other hand if I run some important simulation, I'll be
    > willing to let daemons like sendmail or http die in hopes the
    > simulation finish.

    You might want to take a look at the process selection
    mechanism in my OOM killer patch (

    > Bottom line is that I don't belive any kind of AI in OMM will do
    > the right job.

    So give us a better solution. One that also works for
    unattended servers (I don't believe anybody actually
    wants to babysit servers 24x7).

    of people. That is its real strength.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.032 / U:45.252 seconds]