    Subjectpatch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

    Hello everyone,

    ReiserFS for 2.3.49 is now available for testing, comments, and review.
    You can get the code from:

    ftp://ftp.devlinux.com/pub/namesys/2.3-beta/linux-2.3.49-reiserfs-3.6.1-patch.gz

    This is beta code, and support for the disk format in our code for the
    2.2. kernel is turned off right now (more on that below).

    We realize this isn't as useful as a 2.3.51 patch, which we are working on
    right now. Looking through the VFS changes in 2.3.51, I don't anticipate
    problems porting up, but I wanted to get this code out just in case.
    Look for the 2.3.51 patch Sunday night, perhaps on Monday if things get
    really ugly.

    I've added a new call in the super_operations struct, called read_inode2.
    This is a kludge to pass all 64 bits reiserfs_read_inode needs to find
    something on disk. As I understand things, the VFS changes in progress to
    make knfsd happy will allow us to get rid of the read_inode2 hack.

    Big differences from our 2.2 code:

    We've changed our stat data and the keys used to find objects in the
    tree. We have code in place to support the old disk format, but we
    concentrated on testing the new format first, so that compatibility code
    is disabled right now.

    You won't be able to mount a 2.2 formatted disk with this patch. The new
    format was designed around making old format support easy, we are
    committed to providing it once we are convinced the new code is solid.

    The horrible things we did to linux/fs/buffer.c have been removed.

    64 bit file offsets, and disk format should be safe for use on alphas.
    The alpha port is not finished, but it is at least possible now. If you
    are interested in helping, please let us know.

    page cache integration resulted in big changes in when we pack
    file tails. Files with tails will be slower than they were in the 2.2
    code, until we make better use of the address space operations.

    What still needs to be done:

    2.3.51 port, more testing.

    new format support ported back to 2.2.X kernels. This comes after testing
    the old format support in 2.3.X kernels, so it should take at least a
    month.

    fsck needs to be ported into the new format, so does the resizer.

    memory pressure hooks would be very useful. We have a hard to reproduce
    deadlock under very high swap load, where kswapd ends up waiting on the
    log while trying to flush inodes to disk. I have a work around planned
    (all in the journal code), it won't take long to code, but it will take a
    few days to test right.

    Code cleanup (esp. the journal API)

    journal tuning code, including per filesystem journal sizes. I've been
    promising this forever. Now that our 2.3 changes are almost done, I can
    finally think about adding it. The super has all the fields need to make
    this happen already.

    A few misc bug fixes from the 2.2.X code need to be ported in.

    Again, this is beta code, please don't put data on it you care about yet.

    -chris

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.027 / U:64.160 seconds]