    SubjectRe: Linux-2.3.51, and the pre-2.4 series..
    In <> Alan Cox ( wrote:
    >> did you enable devfs and forget to edit /etc/inittab to use 'vc/n' instead
    >> of 'ttyn' ?

    > If that is the case then devfs needs some tweaking

    Sorry, Alan. It WAS there. And was removed by LINUS's request. So...

    > -----
    > Linux Filesystem Heirarchy Standard

    > 6.1.2

    > All devices and special files in /dev should adhere to the Linux Allocated
    > Devices document, which is available with the Linux kernel source. It is
    > maintained by H. Peter Anvin.

    > ------

    > Virtual terminals are specifically listed as

    > 4 char TTY devices
    > 0 = /dev/tty0 Current virtual console

    > 1 = /dev/tty1 First virtual console

    > Thus using any other name places devfs out of the standard. Is there a
    > reason for devfs not providing /dev/tty{n} (nothing stops it providing
    > /dev/vc/n as well)

    Yes. The whole idea behind recent removal of compatibility entries out of
    devfs is to clean up this horrible mess in /dev . It was Linus's idea and
    I like it :-) So probably better way is to change "Linux Allocated Devices"
    document to reflect devfs changes (AFAIK HPA promised to do this in the future

    P.S. Of course you can return old /dev/tty0 ... /dev/tty64 with devfsd if you

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:8.300 seconds]