SubjectRe: Some questions about linux kernel.
Date

> Hello,
> you might want to check out pam. It has a file under /etc/security called
> limits.conf. This will allow you to put per user/ per group or default
> limits on many system resource, such as memory, and the number of
processes.
> If you take your code above and put a while (true) {fork()}; without any
> limits placed here your system will die, also.

Well. I know that but this seems to be just a work around. The system should
not die because of usual users things.
Fork won't help as user only have up to 256 proceses by default.
The problem with memory is really importand. The limits - for example I
have 512MB+1GB of swap - so if I limit users memory to 512MB he will not be
upset much and I'll have the system protected. But if 4 different users will
run such stuff the system will die. I can limit this to user groups - the
same result will be if users are from different groups. So you have to
trouble a lot to make a work around, and so the problem has to be solved
anyway. I know it's solved in solaris 2.6 as I wrote in OS/2 and even in
Windows NT. But not in linux :(
So I'm wondering if 2.4 will have something inside to avoid such situations.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.021 / U:0.164 seconds]