SubjectRe: memory tester and BP6 problems
Date
Hi John,

> Can anyone recommend a good app to stress test the memory in my
> Linux box? I'm getting these strange lockups in a BP6 where
> the box locks hard, usually emitting a constant beep when it's
> locked. When I reboot it it usually doesn't come up for about
> five minutes but instead makes a beep pattern that is alternating
> a high and lower pitch beep continuously. Never posts. It
> usually stays up for anywhere from a day to a week. Not
> overclocked, happens with any kernel config and I've got my ram
> settings at the most conservative. Also, the temperature stays
> anywhere from 29C - 34C on the CPU's and in the system as reported
> by lm_sensors and looking at logs of the temps it is never overly
> hot when it dies.

Can you measure the system temperature (ie the Intel 440BX north bridge)
from the BIOS?
- I know it gets really hot on the BP6.

Check the heatsink on it is getting adequate ventilation, and try adding a
little fan too

Dan
Daniel J Blueman
Undergraduate - BSc Computing Science