    SubjectRe: [patch-2.3.51-pre2] misc cleanups
    Alexander Viro wrote:
    > > Anyway, for final user, either they'll never see this because either
    > > distro won't provide i686 compiled kernels or they'll provide kernels
    > > for all ia32 cpu AND compile in devfs as it fixes some problems (i'am
    > > thinking of the possibilty to break the 15 fs limit on scsi disks). So
    > > why change this driver ?
    >
    > Interesting. Do you imply that Mandrake will use devfs in default setup?

    Well, i don't make the mandrake policy. This subject'll need some view
    points exchange between us. So my message don't imply anything but my
    thoughs :-). I just list the major possibilities for distro
    maintainers/packagers.

    We'll probably support devfs if it don't broke anything (i means not the
    whole distro but a few critical programs). a number of programs'll have
    to be altered such as util-linux, others such as *fdisk are less
    important with devfsd.
    However, XFree86-4/glx & Linux-2.4.x will give us enough work...

    At first, i was thinking as devfs as a toy (a
    solaris_has_it_so_do_we__toy) but it fix/prevent some problems (limited
    8bits special inodes numbers, limited fs number on scsi disks which make
    diskdrake have special rules for eide & scsi disks, problems for
    multiple /dev sound related stuff ownership, and the like).

    So, as for me, devfs might be a good thing. But just wait and see. Some
    people see it as a "suicide" thing...

    --
    www.linux-mandrake.com
    somewhere between the playstation and the craystation