    SubjectRe: Linux-2.3.51, and the pre-2.4 series..
    > > On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Wakko Warner wrote:
    > > >
    > > > By the way, last time I tried (2.3.48 or 49 I believe), yenta grabbed the
    > > > IRQ for my PCI sound card... again.
    > >
    > > Why is that a problem? PCI irq's are shared.
    > >
    > > If the sound driver doesn't realize that it has to ask for a shared irq,
    > > then the sound driver is broken and always has been. I'm eagerly awaiting
    > > a patch ;)
    >
    > Which sound card if there is a problem. All the PCI sound cards should correctly
    > share. Note that the fake ISA IRQ stuff some cards have via PC/PCI and other
    > abortions don't share but should be considered as ISA anyway

    00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro
    Audiodrive (rev 10)
    Subsystem: NEC Corporation: Unknown device 8058
    I/O ports at ec00

    That card. There's a nice bug somewhere that if I play sounds through it
    continuously (w/o closing/reopening like mpg123 does) it will start sounding
    like I'm playing a record that's popping and crackling. Know anything about
    this? Closing dsp and reopening resets this.