SubjectRe: APM_power_off
On  1 Mar, Andy Henroid wrote:

>> BUT: Is there a way to test the correctness other
>> than that strange win tool everyone in the world is
>> reffering too?

> Nope, not other than trying it and sending me
> a bug report if your system has a broken ACPI
> implementation. There are obviously still plenty
> of broken implementations post 1/1/1999

Well, it seems to work, but I don't think this is an accurate
test. How do I identify a broken ACPI implementation?

> Actually, if you are running acpid, you'll get
> a fair amount of power savings from ACPI C-states
> (low power when the system is idle, like an
> improved "hlt") So, no, you definitely will not
> be draining the battery any faster than if you
> were using APM.

An Mobile P-II even drains the battery a fair lot if
halting the CPU. I'd like to have "suspend to ram",
"suspend to disk", controlling the backlight of the LCD
(if nothing or apmd is running it'll turn at least off
after the timeout time set in BIOS and when the notebook
is shut. When running acpid I get nothing!), intelligent
harddisk management and more...

> The issue with ACPI support right now is that
> you don't get battery status or suspend
> capability.

Yes. It's always nice not to know how much time/battery
is left. (Of course the notebook has a special function to
show the percentage of battery left, but it's uncomfortable
to activate it every 10 minutes and the turn it off again to
have the keyboard back again.)

> The former is fairly easy to do
> and is coming along soon in acpid. The later
> requires signficant changes to drivers and
> probably the kernel and is going to take a bit.

I'm waiting and using APM in the meantime since there's
no way to get them both....

--

Servus,
Daniel