    SubjectRe: oom killing
    ADAM Sulmicki wrote:

    > > > Is there some sane (and easy) way to stop this crazed thing from
    > > > killing my programs? if I need to kill something I can do this
    > >
    > > Which kernel version?
    >
    > more to the point, it happened twice.
    > once when I was running 2.3.41 smp
    > it was mozilla's (m13?) fault that it ate whole ram,
    > it killed X only.
    >
    > the other time it happened was today
    > it was kernel 2.3.47 smp
    > it was netscape when I as testing s "stress" page
    > (http://www.wam.umd.edu/~soref/stress.html)
    > it killed sendmail,emacs and klogd few times..
    >
    > the box has 128mb ram and 128mb swap.
    >
    > any idea what's going on?

    While compiling 2.3.48 i made a typo, I wrote make -j modules instead of
    make-j4 modules, I hit intro and later when I came back I could saw that
    X was frozen after a few seconds of the start of the compile, load of
    3.3 instead of two or three dozillions, but my hd was scratching like a
    mad, and after about 45 mins, the box froze and stop reponding to pings,
    BTW I tried to telnet into, but no luck, I think the box was too busy.

    These are the last messages in /var/log/messages and the box has two
    200mmx, 96mb of ram and 198 of swap.

    kernel: VM: killing process as
    kernel: VM: killing process cpp
    kernel: VM: killing process gcc
    kernel: VM: killing process gcc
    kernel: VM: killing process cc1
    kernel: VM: killing process cpp
    kernel: VM: killing process cpp
    kernel: VM: killing process make
    kernel: VM: killing process cpp
    kernel: VM: killing process cpp
    kernel: VM: killing process make
    kernel: VM: killing process gcc
    kernel: VM: killing process as
    kernel: VM: killing process cpp
    last message repeated 2 times
    kernel: ip_conntrack: Wow someone raced us!

    --
    Jorge Nerin
    <jnerin@svalero.es>