    Subject[OT] Re: Do not use stock RedHat 6.0 kernels with SMBFS!
    Verily, thus sayeth Riley Williams upon Mon, 28 Feb 2000:

    [confusion]

    > >From the comments made earlier, I understood this bug affected
    > behaviour both when mounting a Win9x share from Linux and when
    > mounting a Linux Samba share from Win9x. However, your comment
    > appears to imply that it only affects the former ???
    >
    > My query was relating specifically to the latter: How does one
    > export a Samba share from Linux in such a way that it can be
    > mounted simoultaneously by both Win95 and Win98 systems?

    1.) this is a samba issue, not a kernel issue. not really an admin issue,
    either, but hey.

    2.) It's a question of encrypted vs plain-text passwords; win98 and later
    versions of 95 send encrypted passwords, while early 95 sends a plain text
    password. your samba is configured to use one or the other. see
    ENCRYPTION.txt and the other samba docs.
    --
    /jbm, but you can call me Josh. Really, you can.

    /\`\
    /\`\ \
    / /'/ /\ "Yay! more ascii art in my .sig!"
    \/ /'/ /
    \/'/ /
    \/,/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.021 / U:29.732 seconds]