    SubjectRe: Linux's future: //posix/ipc, //root and so on ?
    In <E12Q8GR-0005UT-00@the-village.bc.nu> Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) wrote:
    >> program to execure cgi script in sandbox. And without devfs, procfs and
    >> ipcfs it's DOABLE: you can put all needed libraries as hardlinks
    >> there. Without // trick (or rather /../ trick -- looks much saner to me)
    >> it's doable as well. WITHOUT changes for each and every program when new
    >> netfs or whjatever is implemented.

    AC> Unfortunately you've already introduced a security hole in wu.ftpd if you
    AC> dont modify it

    AC> put //ipc/statusfile

    AC> stomp... and ipc may contain stuff you dont want outsiders reading. I'd actually
    AC> like chrooted stuff not be able to access the master /ipc. In fact being able
    AC> to mount further /ipc namespaces inside chrooted environments which are
    AC> seperate from the main one would be the good thing

    Agree 100% now (now, when Viro said that such tricks will be possible "in not
    so distant future": not 2000 and perhaps not even 2001 year but world will not
    end neither in 2000 nor 2001 year as well).

    AC> Thats another step into supporting partitioning of applications on Linux

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:2.652 / U:0.332 seconds]