SubjectRe: 2.3.47 kernel panic with serial.o
On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 04:26:33PM +1100, Yau Man NG wrote:
> The following sequence of commands involving the serial module will
> cause kernel panic
>
> su -
> /sbin/insmod serial
> /sbin/rmmod serial
> /sbin/insmod serial
> /sbin/rmmod serial
>
> The last command will hang.
> The process consumes a lot of CPU time and cannot be killed.
> Every thing seems to work okay. The system can be gracefully reboot or
> shutdown.
> I can insmod and rmmod other modules such as lp as many time as I like
> before or after
> the above sequence of commands without any problem.
>
> However if I try to access /dev/ttyS0, by doing
> cat /dev/ttyS0
> the kernel will panic

Just a heads up -- this problem, as reported by myself and several
other during February for kernels 2.3.45 and up (and possibly 2.3.44)
persists up through 2.3.48. So far, all of the people who have
reported problems have reported the exact same symptoms (well, I'd
never tried to access the serial device after trying to unload the
module, but doing so just now gave me an instant reboot, no oops
message).

I've been unable to find anyone listed in MAINTAINERS who would seem
to be responsible for the generic serial driver; if there is such a
person, could someone point me in the right direction?

More information on how exactly to reproduce the problem is available
in a variety of mail messages, and is of course also available on
request from me. I'm also happy to try anything that would help in
debugging the problem, if people tell me what to do.

--
Ian Peters | GnuPG Key ID 5C23D20C | Those who know what's best
itp@gnu.org | E584 2558 FAC3 BEAB EFAC | for us must rise and save