    SubjectRe: Compiling kernel on different machine
    On 1 Mar 2000, Tony E. Bennett wrote:

    >> >I am trying to use a faster machine to compile a kernel for my laptop that
    >> >does not have the space to compile its own kernel. I tried this and it didn't
    >> >work. When it came time to boot the kernel it hung on the laptop.
    >> >
    >> >My question is what files other than the bzImage file need to copied over. I
    >> >tried to grab the modules and put them in /lib/module/2.2.14. What effect do
    >> >the files in /boot make. Do I need these as well? If so which ones and where
    >> >do I place them?
    >>
    >> The only mandatory needed files are the kernel image, and the
    >> modules. The kernel should still boot without modules
    >> though. In addition you should copy the System.map file to the
    >> /boot dir too.
    >>
    >> That is it. If it doesn't boot, then perhaps something is not
    >> right about your choice of config options.
    >
    >make sure you're not compiling for a different cpu than your laptop...

    Ouch! Yes that is very important that you configure your kernel
    for the laptop, and not just use the one from the other machine!

    I keep the .configs for all my kernel builds on my main machines
    /boot directory. They're all named uniquely by hostname/CPUtype
    like:

    K6-2.2.14-1asdf.capslock.lan

    It is a good way of centrally keeping track of them all.

    TTYL

    --
    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate

    Suspicious Anagram #4:
    Word: PRESIDENT CLINTON OF THE USA
    Anagram: TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.027 / U:121.612 seconds]