SubjectRe: I edit serial.c, and a lot of other *.c get built !?
   Date:   Mon, 07 Feb 2000 07:45:17 -0500
From: Uncle George <gatgul@voicenet.com>

I really just want to edit serial.c, anf have just serial.c compile.

But when it comes to Linux-2.2.12-20 ( from RedHat ), a lot more .c
routines get built.
It would seem that the dependencies for linux et al are too dependent on
each other ! Is this a bug, or just a way to convince folks with slow &
workable machines to upgrade ?

If you are doing development work on the serial driver (or most
device drivers in general), I'd suggest that you compile the serial
driver as a module. This allows you to recompile it much more quickly,
and then you can test it without having to reboot your machine, which is
another plus.

If it doesn't work, you can unload it, and then try again. It really
shortens the edit/recompile/test cycle. Even if you get a kernel oops,
in many cases you can still unload the kernel and try again (This is a
more advanced technique; if you don't know what you're doing, it's safer
it reboot the kernel when you get kernel oops.)

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.490 / U:0.244 seconds]