SubjectRe: 2.4 Features
Date
"A month of sundays ago Riley Williams wrote:"
> If any more come up that aren't on Linux-Kernel, can you bounce them
> to me instead please?
>
> >> One of the problems is that nobody, to my knowledge, has done
> >> any serious sustained stress testing on e2compr. Any offers?
>
> I'm certainly willing to have a go at this, and see what happens.
> However, I'm not really sure what would constitute "stress testing" in
> this context, so guidance would be appreciated...

I've been running e2compr on all production systems (mine included)
for years. It's never given the slightest problem. I'm probably
the only person that knows it's there. 2.0.36 and 2.2.10 kernels
nowadays. 0.3.9 e2compr stuff (sorry Peter, you know about that).

The drawback is that one has to remember to distribute patched e2fsck.

I think things would be clearer if e2compr appeared as a separate
file system type, requiring mount -t e2c, for example. Then it
could never be confused with ext2/3, and one would explicitly
require a separate fsck.e2c executable instead of a patched e2fsck.

Peter

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.633 / U:0.596 seconds]