SubjectRe: Make clean impossible in 2.3.42
On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Sergey Kubushin wrote:
> >
> > Hi everybody!
> >
> > I wonder have anyone noticed that "make clean" after a build in 2.3.42 fails
> > with "xargs: environment too large for exec" ?
>

> workaround: Remove your .config manually.

It's dumb. "make clean" does not remove .config at all. It's supposed to get
rid of all object files and libraries built on earlier stages. I did patch
the makefile to output all "find" output to a file (it's 32K+ in size) and
run a for loop for every line of this file. It's not a right thing and
slows down the cleanup a little bit, but it's definitely needs fixing
in the kernel itself. It's neither makefile's nor xargs' fault. It's the
kernel itself who has to be blamed.

I'm pretty sure that all such "little" misconveniences are caused by slight
changes in kernel behaviour. Can someone among the kernel gurus explain what
was the reason behind changing a cmdline interface in /proc ? Have we won
something ? Closed a security hole ? Any else ? Does this change make any
sence at all ? I'd understand that if it had been an evil for a long time
and got fixed at last. But people, please, DO tell what the rationale of this
change is ? May be it's really worth making _ALL_ apps using setproctitle()
misbehave ? May be it does really justify all the pain involved in fixing
_EVERY_ daemon in the system ? Or may be it's right that 2.3.42 fails to do
a "make clean" under 2.3.xx and do it without a hiss under 2.2.xx ? Or may
be I miss something when seeing 0 K shared memory in /proc ?

Does anybody among the kernel gurus care to answer this ? Does anybody care
at all ?