SubjectRe: Encrypted File systems implementation into the kernel?

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000 kernel@draper.net wrote:

> I refer the group to Bruce Schneier's (author: Applied Cryptography)
> January 15, 2000 newsletter where a source in the European financial
> community states the sentiment rather succinctly:
>
> <Quote>
> Under the circumstances, the European finance and e-business industries
> would have to be crazy to use U.S. crypto-based products. And they're
> not crazy.

IIRC Schneier was referring to closed-source crypto products that
has been secretly compromised (GAKed, weakened or backdoored) to
gain export approval.

> U.S. regulators continue to place limitations on conditions by which
> crypto implementations may be released, presumably with an eye towards
> preservation of evesdropping ability. Therefore, I urge that crypto
> functionality NOT be made subject to U.S. regulation, and therefore NOT
> be rolled into U.S. based kernel source trees.
>
> Once the free world (Zurich?) begins to accept that U.S. based crypto
> executables and source is untainted by government mandated "review"...
> then, and only then, should we revisit this question.

The new regulations do not require "review" of source code, just
that the govt be informed of the location from which it can be
downloaded.

-d

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:1.180 / U:0.268 seconds]