    SubjectRe: Encrypted File systems implementation into the kernel?
    "Michael H. Warfield" wrote:

    <snip>

    > A few of the issues I see...
    >
    > What existing add-on packages do we want integrated into the kernel?

    Loopback crypto and CIPE. Both stable (when used with working ciphers).
    FreeS/WAN when they clean their things up.

    > What form should a cryptographic service provider take?

    You know there's a Ciper- and Digest-API distributed with the
    international kernel patch?

    > What algorithms do we need?
    > DES, 3DES, Idea, BlowFish...

    Renove DES! Add Serpent and the (five?) finalists of the AES
    competition.

    > Do we need public key algorithms?

    I think that is application-specific and uncritical w.r.t speed and
    therefore belongs to userspace.

    > What are the initial cryptograhic service consumers?
    > CIPE, IPSec, loopback crypto...

    Crypted swap with hidden key generated on boot-up from /dev/random? IIRC
    HPA was talking about such.

    > Do we provide access from user level programs to kernel level
    > algorithms?

    Wouldn't the userspace-to-kernel-to-userspace transitions be too great a
    penalty w.r.t speed? Maybe making the CryptoAPI a library would help.

    > How to we coordinate with the different projects to get them
    > to use the integrated crypto?

    Let the implementations of ciphers for the CryptoAPI get a _lot_ of
    peer-reviewing by crypto-professors and they'll run to use these
    routines.

    <snip>
    > If there is sufficient interest and discussion, we may want to set
    > up a separate mailing list just for common crypto issues and development.
    > I would be willing to host such a list, but I want to be sure there is
    > sufficient interest and agreement before going to that trouble. If the
    > threads remain managable and well identified, we may keep it here on
    > linux-kernel unless we get too many complaints.

    <snip>

    As it seems that a linux-crypto ml does not exist yet:

    On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 Rik van Riel wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Marc Mutz wrote:
    >
    > > As this is the official mailing list for discussion concerning the
    > > kerneli patches (maybe there should be a linux-crypto ml, please
    > > tell me if it exists):
    >
    > If it doesn't exist yet, you're welcome to host it at
    > nl.linux.org...

    <snip>

    I had not the time to let this happen. Michael, maybe you can talk to
    Rik, if you are interested in doing the hosting.

    Marc

    --
    Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com> http://marc.mutz.com/Encryption-HOWTO/
    University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

    PGP-keyID's: 0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)