    Subject/dev/poll vs. sigio enhancements
    I've updated with a description
    of (and link to man page for) Solaris' new /dev/poll interface,
    a way to avoid the overhead of continually building a list of
    pollfd's to pass to poll(). According to Sun, at 750 fd's,
    this has 10% of the overhead of poll().

    sct has a set of changes in 2.3.x that let you avoid the overhead of
    poll() in a different way, using the realtime signal queue to carry
    fd state change events.

    It might be good for Linux to support the /dev/poll scheme also.
    It's easier interface to document and use than the signal-based one,
    which is a bit complicated to get right.
    This would also make it easier for Solaris programs that use the /dev/poll
    interface to migrate to Linux.
    I'll let sct speak to how icky it would be to implement /dev/poll...
    I'm just speaking from a kernel user's point of view.

    - Dan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:10.284 seconds]