SubjectRe: Capabilities
"Peter T. Breuer" <ptb@it.uc3m.es>:
>"A month of sundays ago Jesse Pollard wrote:"
>> >Reminds me of a certain statement about 640K.
>>
>> yeah it does... but at least I didn't say "255 should be enough for anybody".
>>
>> I have done counts on the total number of setuid programs (IRIX) and it was
>> under 100. Some of these programs really didn't rate being setuid anyway so
>> they lost the setuid/setgid bit, leaving only 55.
>
>Unfortunately this is the same reasoning. Back then there weren't any
>home computers with more than 100K of ram.
>
>If you make these capabilities safe and useful, then they will be used.

Yes, they will be used. But the intent is to be used by system/security
administrators and not by the everyday user. If there are 32765 (or 255
for that matter) privileged programs, then I would be willing to guarantee
that the security on that system is nonexistant. The ability to audit
the security activities of programs is a must. I have enough trouble with
just the 55 I have. If I find any others on the system, they get removed.

Capabilities themselves are not safe. They are used to make a system safe.
The process of making the system safe requires validation of the programs
being given extra privileges. Otherwise, you have no assurance that security
policies are being enforced.