SubjectRe: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??
On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> According to the old law of the land, and then enshrined in common law,
> if an apple tree has a branch overhanging the road, passerby commit no
> crime by plucking an apple from it to assuage their hunger.
>
> In fact, passerby are welcome to satisfy their hunger from bushes off
> the side of the road, as long as they only satisfied their hunger and
> didn't carry anything off with them. This didn't confer on them the
> right to set up camp, but seems comparable to me of the use many people
> make of network scans.
>
> Its only neighborly to share some resources. I practice what I preach.

Sweden has a quite unique law called the "Legal right to access private
land"-bill (allemansrätten), which constitutes that every person has the
right to walk in private fields/forests, swim in private lakes, what not.
You're allowed to pick fruits/berries/mushrooms in the forest camp
wherever you like as long as you do not destroy anything, etc. This law is
only restricted by means of what can be counted as the surroundings to a
house; that is, you are not allowed to put up a tent on someone's lawn.

This is one of the most appreciated laws in Sweden. Sure, it's easy to
abuse, but it seldom gets abused, out of fear that we might not get to
keep it.

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.090 / U:0.164 seconds]