SubjectRe: Load linux...from linux?
Date
Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> yup, needs cleanup. I'll take any good suggestions you have. This is a
> first cut and I'm hoping smart people will give me good improvements!

Now I've also caught up, darn GDTs ... ;-) My approach avoids copying
the page tables and may run with an invalid GDT some of the time, but
it has a bit less architecture-specific code in the kernel. Here it
is (for 2.3.48):

ftp://icaftp.epfl.ch/pub/people/almesber/misc/bootimg-0.tar.gz

I also do the actual loading in user space. Should make things like
command lines and such easier. (The boot loader-kernel interfaces
are usually quite stable, so I think it's reasonable if the user
space code knows them.)

By the way, your assumption that the setup data areas aren't usually
overwritten seems to be right: I currently don't do anything for the
setup data, and it "magically" works anyway. Scary ;-)

> It was quite a bit of fun getting it this far, so I am resting for a bit
> before final fixup.

I can imagine ... just had two rather intense days and nights,
moving __beep from one instruction to the next to see where it
crashes ;-)

Cheers, Werner